BOSHAM, a village, a parish, and a hundred in the SW of Sussex. The village stands on Chichester harbour, 1 mile S of the South Coast railway, and 3½ W by S of Chichester; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office, of the name of Bosham-Pound, under Chichester. It was known to the Saxons as Bosenham; and it possessed importance for ages as a landing-place; but is now inhabited chiefly by fishermen. A monastic establishment was founded at it, in the 7th century, by a Scot named Dicul; and a collegiate church, in 1129, by Bishop Warlwast. It belonged early to the see of Canterbury; was obtained, through guile, by Earl Godwin; had a seat of Harold, from whence he sailed on his fatal visit to Duke William in Normandy; was given, at the Conquest, to the Anchors; and passed, first to Bishop Warlwast, then to the Dean and Chapter of Chichester.